Tuesday, January 15, 2013

To say Tanzania is "everything I expected" would be inaccurate. I knew there was no way I could prepare myself for this experience, though I tried.. hard. I tried to imagine the breathtaking scenery, I tried to imagine the infectious energy of the Tanzanians in their joyous, "haberi," greeting, I tried to imagine the smells, the sights, the feelings of Tanzania, but I couldn't. Until I stepped out of the airplane. "Africa," was all Ken needed to say to nearly bring me to tears, which would later slowly stream down my face on the bus to the hotel, overwhelmed with joy that the magnet pulling me to this very spot could finally rest. I was finally breathing the thick air, hearing the symphony of bullfrogs and crickets, and smiling so big for so long that my face started to hurt.
I still have to pinch myself when I awake to this environment. The chiming bell outside our guest house wakes me up at 5:45, followed by the roosters close to six. I begin my morning with a run down the valley, waving to the farmers in their "shambas" hoeing their fields, or a yoga sequence on the front porch, performing sun salutations to the rising sun over the mountains. It is truly surreal. Our cook, Ana, prepares a delicious breakfast of doughnuts, perhaps eggs, fruit, and something else fried, in which we all manage to comment on the "carb content" every time, though happily ingest all of the deliciousness.
Hospital rounds begin soon after that. We all shuffle behind a lead Tanzanian doctor who guides us through the patients, their current condition, and how they are progressing. This part of the day is obviously a wealth of information for me, as I scramble down as much medical terminology as possible while trying to contain my emotions. This entire experience has been such a roller coaster of emotions, devastation, disbelief, joy, guilt, gratitude, heart break, humility, appreciation, happiness, soulfulness. In just a matter of a week, I have also spent time in the Pediatric HIV/AIDS ward, watched a C-section being performed (again, more tears of joy), helped perform a health screening on nearly 50 wives of pastors (with more to be seen on Wednesday and Friday), and simply tried to soak in the food and culture of Tanzania. 
Tomorrow will be another "Day of Grace" health screening with around 50 more women where I will help take blood sugar readings. This weekend we wil head out for a Safari!
Tanzania could not be "everything I expected," but it surely is everything I have wanted. How incredibly grateful I am for the opportunity and the fact that I still have three weeks ahead of me!

3 comments:

  1. Great post Tessa. Your passion for this new experience jumps off the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing update tessa. sounds like you are already learning so much and taking in so much that the country and the people have the offer. so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to read this Tessa, we miss you! And it sounds like you need to worry about fat content of your breakfasts more than carbs ;-)
    Go ahead and deep fry everything and continue to have a wondrous experience!

    ReplyDelete